Yiramalay’s unique education program encourages personal and academic growth and hands on skills development to prepare students to successfully transition to the workplace or to further study.
The SYLF – learning for life
All Year 11 and 12 Yiramalay students undertake the Senior Years Learning Framework (SYLF) – a hands-on, practical, work-related senior years program that embraces Yiramalay’s philosophy of learning on-country.
The SYLF was originally developed by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) in consultation with Wesley College for the Yiramalay/Wesley Studio School. It is now a national framework for students in the final years of secondary school.
The SYLF gives equal value to academic learning, practical industry learning, and personal/social learning across cultures. It also supports schools to draw on local resources such as community organisations and businesses, which helps Yiramalay students develop work-ready skills as well as community connections.
The SYLF is taught at both Studio School sites – the Yiramalay site in Fitzroy Valley and Wesley College Glen Waverley. The program is structured into three ‘circles of learning’:
- Personal Learning– building self-confidence
- Academic Learning – learning how to learn
- Industry Learning – a hands-on approach to education
Yiramalay Studio School students study the SYLF in conjunction with one of these accredited secondary Year 12 qualifications:
- Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) FSK20113 Certificate II in Skills for Work and Vocational Pathways
- Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE/VET)
A framework for the future
The flexible framework ensures graduates can navigate life beyond Yiramalay – wherever their passions and interests take them.
Yiramalay Studio School students can study the SYLF at Standard or Advanced levels depending on their chosen pathway.
- For students interested in moving directly into employment or in undertaking further vocational studies.
- Focuses on literacy, numeracy and ICT literacy skills.
- Completion also includes an accredited VET Certificate II qualification.
- For students interested in pathways to further vocational education and university.
- Students participate in industry learning and a structured work placement, part-time apprenticeship, traineeship or a part-time job.
- Advanced-level students also study English and three other senior school academic subjects from the VCE or VET.
Upon graduation from the SYLF, all Yiramalay graduates receive an ACER certificate of completion.
Some Yiramalay students may choose to transfer from the SYLF into studying the VCE at Wesley College, Glen Waverley campus (dependent on eligibility criteria).