Through the Academic Learning program, Yiramalay students become lifelong learners, gaining the skills, knowledge and attributes they need for success in the workplace or further education and training.
To encourage student engagement, Academic Learning at Yiramalay is applied to familiar, real-world contexts and concepts and tied into on country experiences.
Students undertake either Standard Level or Advanced Level Academic Learning. Across both levels, students tailor learning to their interests and strengths through a broad range of academic electives.
Standard Level Academic Learning program
- Standard Level students gain adult reading, written and verbal communication, maths and IT skills.
- Students complete the Foundation Skills Training Package Certificate II in Skills for Work and Vocational Pathways.
- Alongside eight core units (covering topics including use of digital technology in the workplace and conflict management strategies for the workplace learning), students complete six electives.
Advanced Level Academic Learning program
- The Advanced Level program is focused on academic achievement, equipping students with the knowledge, skills and qualifications to pursue university studies, professional work or further education and training.
- Students complete a minimum of one compulsory and three elective academic subjects from the VCE or VCE VET, covering:
- languages – English (compulsory)
- humanities, social sciences
- mathematics, science and technology
- creative arts.
- Students who complete the Advanced Level Academic Learning program receive a VCE qualification and can also receive an ATAR.