Yiramalay students actively participate in a range of practical industry experiences. This hands-on learning helps facilitate the school-to-work transition and expands students’ horizons, paving the way for a brighter future.
Through the Industry Learning component of the SYLF, students develop:
- a greater understanding of workplace values and expectations
- self-awareness, enterprise and initiative skills
- planning, organisation and self-management abilities.
Building employability skills
The Industry Learning framework helps students learn and apply the skills, mindset and industry-specific knowledge required to effectively participate in a workplace.
Students take part in a variety of activities and experiences, including:
- short- and long-term goal setting and reflection, including formally documenting processes and progress
- work-related learning through TAFE, a work experience placement or part-time work in Years 11 and 12
- visits to local workplaces (both at the Yiramalay site and in Melbourne), spanning a broad range of industries including agriculture, eco-tourism, the arts and media, and STEM.
Forging strong industry connections
By connecting students to local businesses and industry professionals, the Industry Learning program produces more employable, work-ready graduates.
At the Yiramalay site, Industry Learning focuses on local businesses and economy. Students work with companies including Bunuba Ranges Tourism, the Indigenous Land Corporation and the Leopold Downs Cattle Station.
In Melbourne, opportunities include undertaking Melbourne University’s Residential Indigenous Science Experience camp, engaging with RMIT University’s SYN Radio, and gaining hands-on experience at leading engineering company ABB.
Other Yiramalay/Wesley Studio School Industry Learning partners include:
- Charles Darwin University
- Monash University
- North Regional TAFE, Kimberley Training Institute
- National Institute of Circus Arts
- St John Ambulance Australia
- Wedge Tail Rides.
"At ABB, reconciliation is part of our commitment to diversity in the workplace. We provide an intensive and engaging program to Yiramalay students, sharing our knowledge and enthusiasm for engineering, and offering unique hands-on experiences. Students gain relevant work experience which they can draw on when considering options for further study and employment"